What Are Fibroids?
posted: Oct. 21, 2022.
How your women’s health doctors in Arcadia, CA, can help when you have fibroids
Periods are never fun. If you notice heavy bIeeding with severe abdominal cramping when you have your period, you could be suffering from fibroids. Your women’s health doctor can help you get relief from fibroid pain. Dr. Anya Rose and Dr. Megan Gau at Rose Women’s Health in Arcadia, CA, provide comprehensive OBGYN and women’s health services, including diagnosis and treatment of fibroids.
If you are experiencing uncomfortable periods, you may have a few questions about fibroids and fibroid treatment. These are some frequently asked questions and answers about fibroids:
What Are Fibroids?
Fibroids are benign growths of connective tissue and muscle cells which develop in the uterus.
Are Fibroids a Common Problem?
Yes, fibroids are very common. 70 to 80 percent of women will develop fibroids. Not all women have unpleasant symptoms or need treatment for fibroids.
Will Fibroids Cause Uterine Cancer?
No, fibroids don’t cause cancer, including uterine cancer.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Fibroids?
Not all women who have fibroids develop symptoms. The women who have symptoms may experience:
- Severe pelvic pain and pressure
- Severe menstrual bleeding for longer than one week
- Frequent urination
- Frequent constipation
- Difficulty emptying the bladder
- Backache or leg pains
How Can a Women’s Health Doctor Treat Fibroids?
If you are suffering from fibroid pain, your women’s health doctor may recommend:
- Medications to block production of estrogen and progesterone, to reduce the growth of fibroids
- An IUD to relieve heavy bleeding caused by fibroids
- Oral contraceptives to reduce menstrual bleeding and control other fibroid symptoms
- MRI-guided ultrasound surgery to remove fibroids and preserve your uterus
- Uterine artery embolization to eliminate blood flow to the fibroid growths
- Radiofrequency ablation to destroy the fibroids and shrink the blood vessels that supply them
- Laparoscopic myomectomy to remove the fibroids and preserve the uterus
- Traditional myomectomy or hysterectomy to prevent fibroid formation permanently
To find out more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of fibroids, call Dr. Anya Rose and Dr. Megan Gau at Rose Women’s Health in Arcadia, CA. You can reach them in the office by calling (626) 461-7071, so call today.