FAQs About Birth Control
posted: Oct. 19, 2022.
How your women’s health doctors in Arcadia, CA, can help with birth control
When you decide to have children, it should be on your own terms. Unplanned pregnancy can be difficult, so finding the right birth control option is vitally important. Your women’s health doctor can help. Dr. Anya Rose and Dr. Megan Gau at Rose Women’s Health in Arcadia, CA, provide a wide range of OBGYN and women’s health services, including birth control.
When you are choosing birth control, you need to know the facts. These are a few frequently asked questions and answers about birth control:
What Should I Consider When Deciding on Birth Control?
You need to consider several factors when choosing birth control. You want a birth control option that will:
- Be convenient
- Be easy to use
- Be safe and effective
- Fit in with your lifestyle
What Are the Different Options for Birth Control?
There are several birth control options to choose from, including
- Birth control pills, which release hormones to prevent pregnancy
- Contraceptive skin patches, which gradually release hormones to prevent pregnancy
- Vaginal rings, which are inserted into your vagina and release hormones to prevent pregnancy
- Birth control injections, which are administered every 3 to 6 months and release hormones gradually to prevent pregnancy
- Birth control implants, which are small rod-like devices that release hormones to prevent pregnancy; an implant is placed into your upper arm and can be effective for up to 3 years.
- Intrauterine devices, or IUDs, which either contain hormones or copper; the IUD is placed inside your uterus and can be effective for up to 3 to 5 years if it contains hormones, and up to 10 years if it contains copper.
Other common birth control methods include condoms, diaphragms, cervical caps, sponges, and spermicide. Condoms protect against both pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
Which Are the Most Convenient Forms of Birth Control?
The most convenient forms of birth control are injections, skin patches, and implants. These options are simple, and don’t require any action from you after they are administered. Birth control pills are convenient, but they do require you to remember to take them.
Which Are the Most Effective Forms of Birth Control?
Birth control implants and IUDs are the most effective forms of birth control. Birth control pills, patches, vaginal rings, and injections are also highly effective at preventing pregnancy.
To learn more about birth control options, call Dr. Anya Rose and Dr. Megan Gau at Rose Women’s Health in Arcadia, CA. You can reach them in the office by calling (626) 461-7071, so call now.